Search This Blog

My raw food goal 2012

 Happy New Year! With the new year underway I have been working on all kinds of new goals and one of them is to learn more about the low-fat raw vegan lifestyle, or 80/10/10, and find and create new recipes that fit in this category, and of course I will be blogging about it here.
 Ever since I started the raw vegan lifestyle almost 3 years ago (in April) I have loved learning about raw foods and trying new things. Raw food is so exciting to me! I have seen incredible changes in my life and in the lives of my family. I have also felt great about how we are choosing to take care of our bodies and spirits. I feel like I am finally to the point where I am not even tempted by meat, dairy, and sugar. Partly, because I know how I feel if I do eat those (almost instantly sick) and partly because I have learned a lot about what they do to a body, inside and out. I am grateful I have a new found, and still developing, talent and hobby of making up recipes and especially raw desserts! SO, what is my goal again? Oh yeah, while I love all the raw food, I have wanted to try going with out added salt, even sea salt, and oils.
  I have been learning about Dr. Douglas Graham, who has become an expert in the raw food world, teaching people about staying on a raw food diet, a low-fat raw food diet. His research shows that a main reason that people get on and off the raw food wagon is because they are not consuming enough carbohydrates, aka FRUIT, (not bread and pasta), but fruit carbs, who knew that fruit was considered carbs? I didn't, but now I do. :) So he wrote an incredibly motivating book called The 80/10/10 Diet, which I have come to mostly agree with. Dr. Graham shows that a low-fat raw vegan lifestyle is best maintained while eating 80% Carbohydrates (mostly fruit-and getting enough of it!), 10% Protein (veggies and nuts/seeds), and 10% Fats (nuts, avacodo, coconut etc.). Also, not adding any oils and salt. This is where my goal for the week comes in.
 If you knew me as a kid, I was the one at the lunch table who liked to shake the table salt into my hand and lick it, yep, you could call me a salt addict. I have come a long way in that regard, however, I do still use salt frequently in raw dessert and especially in raw dips, and salad dressings, which has worked for us in the past, and we've been fine with it. However,  I am ready for a new challenge!
 *So, for one week I am going to prove to myself that I am completely satisfied and happy eating all fruits (including dates), veggies, and greens without added salt and oils in my life, this is big step for me, but that's what is great about trying new things. With this goal I have a few things in mind to keep it exciting for me, here they are:
1. The first reason I want to do this is to FEEL my optimal best. I know in the past when I eat mostly fruits and veggies I feel my best.
2. I plan to try at least 10 new fruits or vegetables that I have never tried! My 4 kids are excited about this part, because we are planning a special shopping trip on Monday where they all get to pick their favorite fruit plus one none of us has ever tried!
3. I will try new recipes, and create my own. Who knows, maybe I will find a new family fave.
4. I want to taste things in their purest form, tasting their true flavors, without my tongue "salted over." I know when I eat a lot of fruit I do what I call "the celery test" and if celery tastes naturally salty, then my tongue is clean.
5. Last of all, I hope to motivate others to make healthy choices and goals this year. Whether it be to eat one more fruit a day than you are use to eating or trying a new healthy recipe, any healthy change will do! Good luck to everyone and a Happy, Healthy New Year to you!

2 comments: